A Ramadan Etiquette Guide For Non-Muslims.
1. You can totally eat in front of us ...For the next 30 days, Muslims around the world will abstain from eating and drinking during daylight hours. That doesn't mean you shouldn't carry on business as usual. (Just turn a deaf ear to our growling stomachs.)
2. ... but try not to schedule a work lunchIf you have to host a brown-bag, you should. But don't feel bad if we sit there, like a vegetarian friend at a churrascaria. Ditto for a happy-hour mixer. If your Muslim co-worker takes a pass, understand.Francois Nel/Getty Images
3. You don't have to fast with us ...You can if you want to see what it feels like. But it's not going to hurt our feelings -- even if we're best friends.
4. ... but you can join us for IftarIftar is the breaking of the fast after sundown. We like to make it a big communal meal. You should come.Ulet Ifansasti/Getty Images
5. You don't have to know when it begins ...Ramadan isn't like Christmas or Thanksgiving, as in everyone knows exactly when it'll fall. It bounces around, because the Islamic calendar is lunar. When it begins depends on when the new moon is seen. That's why the precise dates change from year to year.
6. ... but please be a little flexibleHow we determine when Ramadan begins is decidedly old-school: You have to physically see the moon. That's why, if your co-worker says, "Starting tomorrow, can I start work early so I can leave sooner?" try to accommodate.
7. We'll still go for coffee with you ...No, we can't drink. Not even water. But we'll walk with you if you want to take a break.
8. ... but we may keep our distanceOne word: Halitosis. You try not eating or drinking for the entire day. That's why we're standing a foot away from you when we talk.
Source : IWN Online Editor
You might be interested in:
LEAVE A COMMENT 0 comments
Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted.Comments must be concise and to be point.The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributor and the moderator's decision is final.The comment facility will be removed after 48 hours.